[Tagging] tag man_made=campanile to be replaced withman_made=belfry?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Fri Feb 14 04:41:56 UTC 2014

My thoughts exactly about those open structures that house bells;
man_made=bell_cage (along with building=yes perhaps) would seem the best
fit in those cases, especially seeing as that tag is already in use. As for
adding subtypes to the tower:type tag, that seems an overly complicated way
to go about it. I cannot imagine how long it would take renderers to catch
up with such a scheme.

Moreover, isn't a campanile merely a type of bell_tower? Why would another
special tower:type=campanile be necessary? I would push for:
man_made=tower
tower:type=bell_tower
for all structures that are much taller than they are wide, i.e., towers,
that also contain bells, including steeples and campaniles.

For cases where you have a structure more like a house that contains bells,
man_made=bell_cage
building=yes

Respectfully,

Dave

On Fri, Feb 14, 2014 at 5:13 AM, Frank Little <frankosm at xs4all.nl> wrote:

> Andreas Labres wrote:
>

>> For me those are rather synonym (but different regions/cultures obviously
>> build
>> them much different).
>>
>> In German the word "Glockenstapel" doesn't exist (at least in our
>> latitude,
>> 48°). The Nordic "Klockstapel" as well as the Italian "Campanile"
>> translate to
>> "Glockenturm" (which means bell tower) in German.
>>
>> As those are all towers, I'd prefer
>>
>>  >   man_made=tower
>

>> for all of them. And then I'd detail
>>
>>    tower:type=belfry for those Nordic belfries
>>
> >   tower:type=campanile for those stand-alone Italien Campaniles
> >   tower:type=bell_tower for any "ordinary" bell tower
>

>> Or even more extreme
>>
>>    man_made=tower
>>    tower:type=bell_tower
>>
>> (as we probably agree those all are bell towers) and optionally
>>
>>  >   tower:subtype=belfry
>
>>    tower:subtype=campanile
>> /al
>>

> Confusingly, some of the pictures on the wikipedia page for 'Klockstapel'
> (Swedish) are not towers but open structures (and not very tall structures
> at that). Similarly 'Klokkestabel' (Danish). Are these towers at all? They
> look like the kind of thing which the bell_cage proposal was intended to
> cover (and which have been used for such free-standing, non-tower bells
> here in the Netherlands (Dutch: 'Klokkenstoel').
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Bell_cage
> I notice that the Dutch wikipedia page for Klokkenstoel links to a German
> wikipedia page for Glockenstuhl.

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand