[Tagging] How to tag a public works facility ?

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Wed Feb 19 10:44:31 UTC 2014

It appears you're stuck between a rock and a hard place. According to the
Wiki you can not use amenity=public_building (although I do not understand
why its use is deprecated) and must use building=public. I can see why you
object to this but such buildings are, in one sense, public in that they
are publicly owned. And many such "public" buildings are not open to the
public, for example, prisons.

Perhaps, you could tag individual buildings with building=public and then
create an area with tags defining the type of space more thoroughly.

Regds,
Dave

On Wed, Feb 19, 2014 at 4:39 PM, bulwersator <bulwersator at zoho.com> wrote:

> Maybe tag it as a private parking?
>
> ---- On Wed, 19 Feb 2014 01:06:28 -0800 *Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com
> <pieren3 at gmail.com>>* wrote ----
>
> It's a small area with several buildings where the municipality is
> storing vehicles and the maintenance and repair services. Someone
> suggests to use "amenity=public_building" but it's deprecated now in
> the wiki... "building=public" doesn't fit well here because it's an
> area and is not open to the public.
> Something new like "amenity=public_works" ? (0 in taginfo)
>
> Pieren

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand