[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - opening hours open until

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Tue Feb 25 09:21:50 UTC 2014

Robin `ypid` Schneider wrote:
> So I created a short proposal:
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/opening_hours_open_until

In a related point, we need to be careful that when trying to translate
all of the data in opening_hours into something that a computer can
understand that information isn't lost.  "Breakfast until 11am" usually
makes perfect sense to a human in the context of the rest of the tags on
an item.

As another example, this pub node:

http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/1479235861/history

had opening hours of "12:00-late" changed to "12:00+".  In context (a
pub in an old English town centre) "12:00-late" carries meaning that
"12:00+" does not, despite it confirming to some rules artificially
imposed by https://github.com/ypid/opening_hours.js .

We certainly shouldn't be mechanically changing opening_hours tags that
don't quite correspond to those rules when we don't quite understand the
cultural context of the original tags.

Cheers,

Andy