[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - drinkable

Vincent Pottier vpottier at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 10:38:22 UTC 2014

Le 27/02/2014 07:18, Rudolf Martin a écrit :
> Hallo,
>
> the tag "drinkable=" is used more than 3000 times.
>
> Up today there is no clear definition about the values of this tag.
>
> I made a proposal with some possible values, according to some
> discussions in this mailinglist and some threads in the osm forum.
>
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/drinkable
>
> Feel free to discuss.
>
> Rudolf

Hi.

We have add a long discussion on this topic some times ago (In French) :
https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk-fr/2013-May/thread.html#59129
(and also http://www.randonner-leger.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=23502 )

It seems that the tag drinkable=yes should be used only according to the
legislation (in France, and maybe in Europe) on spot where the quality
of water is controlled and said drinkable. Every other place, according
to the law must be said as "no drinking water". A lot of fountains, in
France are said "no drinking water" only because the spring is not surveyed.

We suggested other values such as : "rainwater_tank", "catched_spring",
"wild_spring", "not_surveyed" (the translations may be better) . And the
hiker takes his responsibility on place.

I was once in the organizing team of a big hike : ~ 240 people during a
week. A group, ~25 people, had a local guide who told that a spring in a
meadow was drinkable. Every flasks were emptied and filled at the
spring. But this day, it was not drinkable and it was for this group the
beginning of very big... complications.
So putting "drinkable=yes" because I have drunk 20 times on a wild
spring seems not a good idea to me.
--
FrViPofm