[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - drinkable

André Pirard A.Pirard.Papou at gmail.com
Thu Feb 27 11:13:11 UTC 2014

On 2014-02-27 08:32, Dave Swarthout wrote :
> No objection. I equate the term "drinkable" with potable. The latter
> is a weird sounding term, to me at least, but is the one in common use
> in the United States to designate water sources that are safe to drink
> from.
potable comes from Latin potare (to drink) and drink is Germanic.
See also potion, pot, and other pot* (not to be confused with potentia =
possibility, power)
As a language lover, I was curious to find out which sounds weird to
whom besides you.
That is, which is the origin of that word in different languages.
Here is the result of a very quick Google poll.

French=potable, Russian=питьевой, Albanian=i pijshëm, Basque=potable,
Belarusian=пітной, Bosnian=pitak, Bulgarian=годен за пиене,
Catalan=potable, Croatian=pitak, Czeck=pitný, Galician=potable,
Greek=πόσιμο(?), Haitian=potab, Italian=potabile, Macedonian=пиење,
Maltese=potabbli, Polish=pitny, Portuguese=potável, Romanian=potabil,
Serbian=питак, Slovak=pitný, Slovenian=pitna,  Spanish=potable,
Swedish=potable, Ukrainian=питної

English=potable, drinkable
Latin=potabilis but also bibulus ;-)

Afrikaans=drinkbare, Danish=drikkevandskvalitet, Dutch=drinkbaar,
Esperanto=trinkebla, German=trinkbar, Icelandic=drykkjarhæft,
Norwegian=drikkevann,

Cheers,

André.