[Tagging] origin of some fire_hydrant tagging

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Thu Feb 27 19:41:35 UTC 2014

On 2/27/14 2:36 PM, Andreas Labres wrote:
> Richard,
>
> fire_hydrant:type should remain unchanged, as this is negotiated with local fire
> departments here in Austria (as well as Germany). At least this is true for
> pillar and underground, those are most common and most important.
i now am proposing that pillar be supplemented with dry_barrel and
wet_barrel,
and that pillar itself remain unchanged.
> Then there are fixed suction points, either from a pond or from the ground water
> (well). There is no ideal tagging for this available, this "pond" may be adjustable.
i'm proposing separating water source out because different types of
delivery device (pillars, pipes) show up in these cases in the US, i
don't think
that the water source and the delivery device should be conflated into
one tag.
> Things like the color don't make that much sense to me, is this one
>
>     http://www.scardo.net/typo/fileadmin/hydrantderwoche/20121125_WeinWasser_Ai.jpg
>
> blue? or stainless steel? But everybody here recognizes this as a hydrant,
> whatever color that is.
color may be more relevant in the US.

> Hydrant class may make sense to you, this is what we use the diameter for (most
> common are 80 and 100). Just to give you an idea how those are used (really used
> by the local fire department there):
>
>    http://openfiremap.org/?zoom=17&lat=48.12184&lon=16.33877
some US departments use the main diameter; others use class. there is no
direct
translation between class and diameter, nor is there a direct
translation between
pressure and class.
> Other optional parameters as you like, they don't make that much sense to us here.

fundamentally i'm arguing for latitude to match local conditions.

richard

rwelty at averillpark.net
 OpenStreetMap - PostgreSQL - Linux
 Java - Web Applications - Search