[Tagging] Tags useful for rendering of roads in poor conditions

Gerald Weber gweberbh at gmail.com
Fri Jan 3 16:09:59 UTC 2014

> So these two roads you'd consider the same?:
> http://www.malenki.ch/Touren/11/Galerie/Tag_20/slide_19.html

Based on the agreed practice in Brazil, I would tag this one either as
highway=unclassified or highway=track, depending on how much this is in use
and what it connects (I cannot determine this from pictures alone) with
surface=dirt or surface=ground.

The problem is that from most current rendering styles you can not
distinguish a highway=unclassified with surface=paved from one with
surface=unpaved, and this is causing us a lot of problems here in Brazil.

> http://www.malenki.ch/Touren/11/Galerie/Tag_22/slide_34.html

I would probably tag this as highway=tertiary (it seems an important road,
large enough to be passable by two cars) with surface=gravel or
surface=ground. Again, apart from the Humanitarian rendering style, there
is no way to see the difference between a highway=tertiary with
surface=unpaved from one with surface=paved.

This is the reason I am saying that rendering paved differently from
unpaved would be a huge improvement and would address most of our concerns.
Agreed, it would not solve everything, but it would be a huge step forward
compared to the present situation.

> > Finally, I can assure you, from my own driving experience, that
> > surface=compacted should be considered unpaved for all practical
> > purposes.
>
> I disagree here, too. Though compacted is not as good as asphalt, it
> is much better then an unpaved way with surface=dirt.

It seems that we do not have the same concept of  what surface=compacted
actually means. This is the reason I am suggesting a complementary tag
surface:sealed=yes or perhaps surface:stable=yes to differentiate the
different situations.

I can assure you that after a few weeks of non-stop torrential rain no
surface stays compacted (at least not here in Brazil).