[Tagging] Feature proposal - Voting - Gambling (reminder)

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Thu Jan 9 14:31:55 UTC 2014

Hi Martin,
in general you're right, but in this case it's a bad choice.

we as a community, as the mappers, can accept multiple values - but even
we as the mappers don't have the tools to deal with multiple values,
that is: AFAIK editors create multiple-value-tags, but don't use them,
e.g. for their internal rendering of the map.

For other software it's worse: As far as I know you have to actively
deal with multiple-value-tags in Mapnik for any tag used in the
stylesheet, and on top of that it's slower than single-values.

For rendering apart from the technical issues (which are of course
solvable) you have to choose what to show on a value-level instead of on
a key-level:
Currently a shop=* is "more important" to the stylesheet than an address
(addr:*), so a shop icon is shown instead; but any shops that have a
dedicated item are on the same importance level.
With multiple values you have to decide, which is more important:
amenity=pub or amenity=gambling? shop=car or shop=car_repair,
amenity=fuel or amenity=car_wash?

I agree that fly's argument shouldn't be taken too seriously (the part
"...especially as it might collide with another value of amenity), but
as the gambling key is proposed, too it's better to use that one only
instead of spreading values across amenity, shop, leisure, gambling and
probably even more.

regards
Peter