[Tagging] hazards (was: Feature Proposal - RFC - trafficability)

John F. Eldredge john at jfeldredge.com
Fri Jan 17 13:06:34 UTC 2014

Ronnie Soak <chaoschaos0909 at googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2014/1/17 Gerald Weber <gweberbh at gmail.com>
>

> > But why only roads?
> >
> > So why not a more generic tag to alert people about all sorts of
> problems?
> >

> Oh please restrict that to official warnings! I can already see
> thousands
> of hazard tags of
> concerned citizens warning me about every ditch in the road, cold
> weather
> in the mountains, darkness at night, passages that are slightly to
> small
> for THEIR car, explicit grafiti content on their favorite bus stop
>
> I really don't want to see OSM filled with their personal commented
> edition
> of the world.
>
> So if you think that the pebbles on the beach are a bit to pointy for
> bare
> feet -> go to tripadvisor
> If there is a warning sign about undercurrents or shark attacks -> OSM
> welcomes your addition.
>
> my ranty 2 cents,
>
> Chaos

Some years ago, I traveled through a county in eastern Kentucky, in the Appalachian Mountains region, where there were a great many landslides affecting the highway.  I don't know whether the soil type was to blame, but every mile or two there would be a place where either one lane of the two-lane highway would be partially blocked by a slide, one lane showed signs of subsidence, or one lane was partially or completely missing, having slid down the mountainside.  Only about one-third of the slides had official warning signs.  I would argue that this whole stretch of highway needed to be tagged as having a high risk of landslides, rather than only tagging the places that had already slid, since the latter would be perpetually out of date.  No official signs stated "risk of landslides"

John F. Eldredge -- john at jfeldredge.com
"Darkness cannot drive out darkness: only light can do that.
Hate cannot drive out hate: only love can do that."
Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.