[Tagging] Waterway dam tagging issues

Richard Z. ricoz.osm at gmail.com
Thu Jan 30 10:15:18 UTC 2014

Hi,

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Dam says:
<<
* Smaller dams can be drawn as a way Way and tagged with waterway=dam. They will be rendered with a black line.
* Bigger dams can be drawn as an area Area and tagged with waterway=dam. They will be rendered with a gray hatching.

I think it would be more modern to keep waterway=dam for the crown of the dam
and use man_made=dam to draw the outline area of the dam.

However, there are also natural dams.. should those be mapped with natural=dam?

Next problem, the dam area is not rendered by most renderers at all despite a mapnik
ticket that is open since a few years.. which means mappers have resorted to various
workaround such as adding man_made=building and probably many other ways to make
them visible.
As much as I don't like tagging for the renderer.. it is a kind of a building after
all and having the most prominent landmarks visible sometimes from 50 miles away
disappear on the map is a bit silly.
What would be the best option to make the dam render?

Richard