[Tagging] Rendering change: buildings within highway areas

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 15:29:16 UTC 2014

We get increasing feedbacks on my local list that the new rendering
rule is counter-intuitive (to not say that it is considered as a bug).
Now roads are rendered on top of buildings even when roads are really
under buildings or underground (tunnels). Why not when your primary
interest is for roads, but it's not so nice when your interest is
buildings ;-)

Examples:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/47.61190/-122.33067
http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/43.28450/5.38016

This is now clearly a map style oriented for transport and the result
is more abstractive than previously where the z order reflected more
the real world. We can blame Google for many things but, at least,
they render tunnels below the buildings... If you don't like
buildings, than make it frankly and remove them completely from the
style.

Pieren