[Tagging] Rendering change: buildings within highway areas

Matthijs Melissen info at matthijsmelissen.nl
Wed Jul 9 15:56:34 UTC 2014

On 9 July 2014 16:29, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> We get increasing feedbacks on my local list that the new rendering
> rule is counter-intuitive (to not say that it is considered as a bug).
> Now roads are rendered on top of buildings even when roads are really
> under buildings or underground (tunnels). Why not when your primary
> interest is for roads, but it's not so nice when your interest is
> buildings ;-)
>
> Examples:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=18/47.61190/-122.33067
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/#map=19/43.28450/5.38016
>
> This is now clearly a map style oriented for transport and the result
> is more abstractive than previously where the z order reflected more
> the real world. We can blame Google for many things but, at least,
> they render tunnels below the buildings... If you don't like
> buildings, than make it frankly and remove them completely from the
> style.

Thank you for your feedback. It seems none of the solutions is really
ideal. I think the old rendering was not perfect either. Here you can
compare them: http://bl.ocks.org/tyrasd/raw/6164696/#16.00/43.2856/5.3814
Rendering order is still work in progress, so we might decide to move
things around again later. Suggestions are welcome.

-- Matthijs