[Tagging] Rendering for mappers

Daniel Koć daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl
Wed Jul 9 19:44:38 UTC 2014

W dniu 09.07.2014 19:08, SomeoneElse napisał(a):

> Historically, the "standard" style was a "for mappers" style - it was
> designed to show features that mappers had mapped.  That has been
> changing (largely without community involvement or review).  I tried

That is exactly what I would expect! There are few nice themed styles on
the main page, but no such "working" map. It doesn't need to be ugly,
but its functionality for mappers must come first.

> It seems like the end goal is something a bit like what the
> Mapquestion Open style already provides (a summary of road
> information, not much else), which seems a curious design decision
> given that Mapquest Open tiles are already available as a style on the
> front page.

MapQuest Open is the only map style I never truly understood - it's a
general purpose map, while others have their purpose stated clear in the
name. What were the reason behind taking it on board, does anybody know?
OpenSeaMap or anything like this would better complete the set of maps
we can use from the main page, this one is just duplicating the purpose
of our default map.

I have no preference which general map should be default - the "beauty"
one or the "working" one - but two "beauty" maps and no "working" one
makes no sense to me. When I act as an end-user of OSM, I want better
search and additional services (routing is what I miss the most), not
the nicer rendering. When I act as a mapper, I want to simply see all my
tags.

--
Mambałaga