[Tagging] Tagging-rendering relations

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Wed Jul 9 17:08:26 UTC 2014

On 09/07/2014 16:39, Matthijs Melissen wrote:
> On 9 July 2014 16:24, Daniel Koć <daniel at xn--ko-wla.pl> wrote:
>> W dniu 09.07.2014 14:19, Matthijs Melissen napisał(a):
>> So - what about making the testing map and adding there all the already
>> documented features for the start? Maybe we should discuss it elsewhere,
>> because we're far from the tagging: what is a better place - talk list or
>> maybe carto issue tracker?
> I think either the talk or the dev list. What you propose sounds like
> a fork of the carto-stylesheet, so would by definition be out of scope
> of the issue tracker.

Historically, the "standard" style was a "for mappers" style - it was
designed to show features that mappers had mapped.  That has been
changing (largely without community involvement or review).  I tried to
kick off discussion here:

https://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/talk/2014-June/070074.html

and would have welcomed input from the people changing the "standard"
style from its previous purpose to explain exactly what they thought
that the standard style was _for_.  Unfortunately, none was forthcoming.

I would certainly welcome (on the talk list rather than the tagging
list) some information about what the group of people currently editing
the "standard" style are actually trying to achieve with it.  It seems
like the end goal is something a bit like what the Mapquestion Open
style already provides (a summary of road information, not much else),
which seems a curious design decision given that Mapquest Open tiles are
already available as a style on the front page.

Cheers,

Andy