[Tagging] Synonymous values in the shop key

Mateusz Konieczny matkoniecz at gmail.com
Thu Jul 10 09:00:38 UTC 2014

There are some values of shop key that seem to be synonymous with other
tags and I want to confirm whatever it is true.
Unless mentioned otherwise all mentioned tags are values of key shop,
numeric values is occurrence count according to taginfo.
Before -> are values that IMHO should be replaced by value after ->.

fish (368 and documented as replaced by seafood), fishmonger (2106 and
documented as replaced by seafood) -> seafood (2110)
delicatessen (108) -> deli (4101, documented)
jewellery (139) -> jewelry (13299, documented)
bags (201) -> bag (409, documented)
antique (110) -> antiques (1394, documented)
pets (162) -> pet (5393, documented)
winery (450, documented but difference between wine and winery is not
documented) -> wine (1039, documented)
pharmacy (1591) -> amenity=pharmacy (115759, documented)
ice_cream (710, documented but difference between using amenity and shop
keys is not documented) -> amenity=ice_cream (4053)

list is based on discussion in
https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/116 and
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Users:Oddityoverseer/Shops_to_Render

In cases of confirmed synonymity I will create feature request on JOSM
bugtracker to add conversion rules into validator (currently no values from
this list are handled).