[Tagging] Townhouse

Steve Doerr doerr.stephen at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 00:13:30 UTC 2014

I'm British, and I associate the term 'townhouse' (at least in estate
agents' blurb) with a house in a town having more than the usual two
storeys, and usually not detached. The OED supports this meaning, though
the earlier meaning was 'A house in a town or city; esp[ecially] one
belonging to someone who has another property in the country.'

The 'town hall' meaning is in there as well, and also an obsolete
meaning of 'workhouse'.

If you're drawing buildings, whether a house is terraced or not should
be apparent from the geometry without any special tagging. There's
probably also a tag to indicate the number of storeys, so I'm not sure a
specific tag for a townhouse is needed.

Steve

> Am 20/lug/2014 um 07:10 schrieb Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org
> <mailto:baloo at ursamundi.org>>:
>
>> I'd tag it as building=house and subdivide it as necessary similar to
>> a stripmall if you know where the walls between units/addresses are.
>

> I'd probably use building=terraced_house for all recent developments I
> know who call themselves townhouse, but looking into WP showed that in
> Britain the meaning "refers to the town or city residence of a member
> of the nobility <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nobility> or gentry
> <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gentry>, as opposed to their country
> seat": http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townhouse_(Great_Britain)
> <http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townhouse_%28Great_Britain%29>
> (different meanings in AE and BE of the same word somehow make it less
> usable as a tag (I.e. townhouse), because you'll get more mistagging
> than the average whatever you define in the wiki)
>
>  "house" alone is quite generic and also used for detached houses,
> better go for a little more specificity
>

> cheers,
> Martin

---