[Tagging] Basic question about functional classification of highways

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue Jun 17 09:20:35 UTC 2014

> Both "maxspeed=<countrycode>:<zone type>" and "maxspeed=<zone type>" are
> evil, as we need to have a separate DB for those zonal limits. Please, just
> use maxspeed=<number>.

I see this similarly, use maxspeed=number and source:maxspeed (to show
where the limit comes from), e.g.
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/source:maxspeed#values
source:maxspeed=DE:zone:30 (currently the most used value, if I had to
propose a new tag I agree I'd use something more simple like zone30 or
zone:30 because this is not about the implicit value according to country
specifics but it is implicit by inheriting from the zone).

cheers,
Martin