[Tagging] Feature Proposal - RFC - drinkable

Rudolf Martin rudolf.martin at gmx.de
Sun Mar 2 17:35:27 UTC 2014

Am 27.02.2014 15:28:13 schrieb(en) Vincent Pottier:
> What about drinking_water used also more than 3000 times ?
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/drinkable (~3300)
> https://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/drinking_water (~3100)
>
> It seems that today "drinkable=*" is on "standalone watering objects"
> (fountains, springs...) and "drinking_water=*" is on other amenities
> or objects (shelter, toilets...).
>
> It seems also that the values should be the same.
>
> And it seems that "drinking_water=*" would fit both "standalone"
> objects and other objects, rather than "drinkable". What do you think
> of amenity=toilets + drinkable=yes ? But in contrast,
> "amenity=fountain + drinking_water=yes sounds good.
>
> So I would be in favour of a single "drinking_water" tag having 6400
> occurrences and a migration from "drinkable" to "drinking_water"
> tags.
> It is easy to migrate softly the "drinkable" to drinking_water" by
> duplicating the tags in a first time and make the first obsolete.

That's an interesting idea. No objection from me.

I see a little problem in the "legal relevance".
IMHO "drinkable=yes" has no legal relevance. It means the water is
drinkable, even without official control.
Water that is checked by public authorities can get the tagging
"drinkable=official".

The tag "drinking_water=yes" implicates somehow a legal relevance. I
would like to tag a spring in the mountains with "drinkable=yes",
although you will never get a official clearance for this source of
water.

Rudolf