[Tagging] Optical telecomunication cable tagging

Dave Swarthout daveswarthout at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 00:14:47 UTC 2014

I came across this tag while working on adjusting the route of the
Trans-Alaska Pipeline. The location tag tells whether a feature is above or
below ground:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:location

I think location is a poor term for this but it is in use and is in the
Wiki. Together, Taginfo says the two tags location=overground (13,888) and
location=underground (19,338) make up almost 35K uses.

Regards,
Dave

On Tue, Mar 4, 2014 at 4:13 AM, François Lacombe <
francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I've found a dozen of markers in the country around my home, like this :
> http://www.infos-reseaux.com/photos/image/217-identification-telecom-trn
>
> It identifies terrestrial optical fibre cables going underground between
> cities in France.
>
> How should it be mapped in OSM ?
>
> I know communication=line but it's still a proposal and there are maybe
> other known combinations.
>
> Since there are many of those markers, we should find some sustainable way
> to map them, like pipelines or power lines.
>
> Let me know how you feel about it.
>

> Cheers.
>

> *François Lacombe*
>
> francois dot lacombe At telecom-bretagne dot eu
> http://www.infos-reseaux.com

Dave Swarthout
Homer, Alaska
Chiang Mai, Thailand