[Tagging] Optical telecomunication cable tagging

François Lacombe francois.lacombe at telecom-bretagne.eu
Tue Mar 4 08:44:52 UTC 2014

Hi Dave,

I agree for location=* tag and it should be used in every domain of
knowledge in OSM since it is really a common tag.
Regarding buried telecommunication cables, location=underground suits my
needs.

But my point was to know if communication=* is the best primary tag to map
such cables.

Telecommunications aren't well developed in OSM, only submarines cables
were added to map years ago and I've never seen any terrestrial cables or
markers plotted since.
Maybe it's the time to think about it, isn't it ?

A "telecommunication cable" is a bit foggy : there are not only cables, but
markers, underground rooms, junctions, etc.
Like pipelines or power for instance.

The only "communication" tags I know are :
- tower:type=communication, mainly for cellular mobile communication towers
- communication=line, for submarines cables.

What else ?

*François Lacombe*

http://www.infos-reseaux.com