[Tagging] Hot springs

Satoshi IIDA nyampire at gmail.com
Tue Mar 4 06:50:30 UTC 2014

Hi,

+1 to Tobias.

I feel it needs clarification for this tag scope.

I think it was "leisure=hot_spring" once,
and switched to "natural=hot_spring".
So the main purpose of this scheme is now "natural".
Like to represent a geyser or some natural features, it seems.

So it is better to make another tag scheme to represent "Onsen" ♨ bathing
facility.

Many Japanese rural "tourism=hotel" has Onsen amenity.
And there is "amenity=public_bath" already.
https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dpublic_bath

# Some Japanese mappers use "amenity=public_bath" to represent "Sento".
# "Sento" is like a spa, but more daily used amenity.
# http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sent%C5%8D

In my opinion, to represent a "Onsen Hotel",
e.g.
"tourism=hotel"
"amenity=public_bath"
"leisure=onsen"

or some combination. (yes, this is very draft!)

Cheers.

> On 02.03.2014 13:58, Richard Z. wrote:
> >> I have significantly changed
> https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/Hot_Spring
> >> with the intention to revive the proposal - thanks for any comments and
> enhancments.
> >
> > just to clarify, among other changes I changed it from leisure= to
> natural= and the
> > comments bellow the page are old comments..
>
> There would also be a need to map bathing facilities sometimes connected
> with such springs, though. I assume this is no longer within the
> proposal's scope after the key switch?
>
> On a related note, can anyone clarify what exactly the ♨ symbol still
> mentioned in the proposal refers to exactly? Is it about hot springs in
> general or specifically about bathing facilities? Wikipedia (en)
> redirects the character to the "Onsen" page.

Satoshi IIDA
mail: nyampire at gmail.com
twitter: @nyampire