[Tagging] Fixing wrong opening_hours automatically

Robin `ypid` Schneider ypid23 at aol.de
Thu Mar 6 17:13:55 UTC 2014

>> There is no key öffnungszeiten, but yes it is only about the key
>> opening_hours.
>> As said before I am not going to change the meaning. The value '"nach
>> Vereinbarung"' is used more often so that‘s another reason for that.
>>

> I am generally opposing german language values in formalized tags *),
> especially where a generic fact is expressed that has a corresponding word
> in English like here. For this reason I am opposing that you normalize
> those tags as it would distort the actual tagging numbers and next time
> you'd be able to say that there are even more of these values, all unified
> in the same clean format ;-)

In general I agree with you. But I see the comment in opening_hours more like
the description key which can (or should) be in local language. I also agree
that it would be better to use a set of default English keywords in the
opening_hours comment (which is then translated to the local language of the
user by software) but for this to happen, we would need a proposal which
describes some common keywords. Also this can be done in an later phase. I guess
it would be not such a good idea if I start to retag already valid opening_hours
in an automated way (without a dedicated discussion and proposal first). There
are many mappers how don‘t fully agree with running bots on the OSM data.

> cheers,
> Martin
>

> *) the basis for our tagging are English tags, worldwide, so that people
> can use the data easier, if we started to use localized tags in hundreds of
> languages OSM would soon become almost useless or at least the effort of
> producing even a simple map would become huge.

The vast majority of the opening_hours syntax is standardized and can be evaluated:
http://openingh.openstreetmap.de/evaluation_tool/

--
Live long and prosper
Robin Schneider