[Tagging] Fixing wrong opening_hours automatically

Stephan Knauss osm at stephans-server.de
Thu Mar 6 18:12:35 UTC 2014

Robin `ypid` Schneider writes:

> I mean the correction
> '0930-0630' -> '09:30-06:30'*
> seams quite straight forward and I guess if someone aware of the wiki page about
> opening_hours will find such a value he/she will change it by hand anyway.
> I assume that this will improve the data quality and will not lead to opposite.
> * value unlikely for this facility: added fixme node:
> http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/2600853055/history

This is a perfect example of a change which should *NOT* be automated.

with the "0930-0630" syntax it's easy to highlight on a quality check tool
as the syntax is wrong.
By checking the syntax a human would likely notice that the opening hour
might be fine for a fast-food restaurant, but not for a government passport
office.
So a human mapper would not only fix the syntax, but also fix the wrong
usage of a 12 hour time format and write "09:30-18:30", probably even
noticing it's not open every day and writing "Mo-Fr 09:30-18:30".

When your bot would have changed it to "09:30-06:30" it's a lot more
difficult to actually spot this suspicious data.

Stephan