[Tagging] Hot springs

Satoshi IIDA nyampire at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 16:29:47 UTC 2014

Thx all!
I'm very surprised Onsen is in the Oxford Dictionary :)

So I would add following description table and some samples to
"amenity=public_bath" page in next a few days.
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Tag:amenity%3Dpublic_bath

* bath:type = onsen
** amenity has bathing amenity, and the waters from natural hot spring.
Common in Japan. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Onsen

* bath:type = foot_bath
** foot_bath is usually are a (free) service offered in the front of the
onsen to passerbys. It's very shallow, and surrounded by seats, it's like a
big sink, rather than a pool. "Ashiyu" in Japanese.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ashiyu

* bath:open_air = [yes|no]
** bathing amenity which has "open air" bath. "Roten buro" in Japanese.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Onsen_in_Nachikatsuura,_Japan.jpg

> Sento is basically a bath from heated water, right? so basically
amenity=public_bath, right?
Yes. so I'll make a comment for it as samples.

> well hot diggity-dog. There we go.
>

> +1,
>  in your case I think I'd most probably use "onsen" to have a very
> specific tag for the very specific feature you are trying to map, something
> like "hot spring bath" is not as specific as "onsen" (e.g. also refering to
> style and the legal requirements you laid out above: "The water of "onsen"
> bathing amenity is from always natural. And in precise, it is upper 25'C
> and must have mineral element. (by law)"), an onsen is a japanese bath, and
> this is IMHO worth pointing out, just as a restaurant will have typically
> warm meals, but there is still a big difference between e.g. japanese and
> say russian kitchen.
>
> cheers,
> Martin

Satoshi IIDA