[Tagging] leisure=events

Antônio Marcos toni.oliv at gmail.com
Sun Mar 9 21:04:55 UTC 2014

I've never heard of "fairground", but it seems to be a quite specific tag
that could be substituted by or even inside the events area. The events tag
is indeed supposed to be generic, just like landuse=retail, which demarks
areas used by shops, and the leisure or landuse key before the "events"
value should denote that it is an area where events are carried on (like
the ones you cited, circus, shows etc.). Maybe, if the area hosts a single
type of event, it is considerable to create too an event_type= key that
describes the type of event. I am considering changing back the key leisure
to landuse, as it originally was supposed to be, because it is a land used
for this purpose and may contain facilities (amenities and leisures) used
during the events, such as pitches, toilets, bars and so on. An example of
an area like this is a very famous rodeo place here in Brazil called Parque
do Peão: http://binged.it/1h4EgcT. As you can see, there is an entire area
used for it, where fairs are made and several amenities for the public are
found: the rodeo event is not comprised only of the rodeo show made in the
arena. And there are many other event-designated places in the world, I
believe, thus I think OpenStreetMap is really lacking this kind of tagging.
Back to the leisure/landuse discussion, stated some points above I think
landuse fits better than leisure and I'd like some more opinions on this
matter, please, before changing it back to landuse=events. If there needs
any other improvement on this tag, please comment. Thanks.