[Tagging] leisure=events

johnw johnw at mac.com
Mon Mar 10 11:48:23 UTC 2014

Thanks for the quick reply Martin!

I always assumed "commercial" => company => private. Same with "industrial => industry, otherwise we would have no need for building=civic / public.

reading through what you wrote, it seem like most of my suggested civic buildings would be landuse=commerical currently.

The wiki pages for key:landuse and key:building pairs the buildings with the landuses (landuse=commercial suggests building=commercial, retail too), and there is building=public and building=civic (which is where they suggest using the amenity tags for townhall and community_center) - but crucially no suggested landuse.

So I assumed because there is a building/landuse combo for commercial/retail/industrial/residential there would be a pair for civic as well. level too, which leads me to feel there is a gap to be filled with landuse=civic.

I think the idea of separating the major public offices by landuse gives us the chance to visually separate them on the map via landuse instead of by building= or amenity= tags.

To make a narrower tag definition, landuse=public_admin & =public_center would be the next narrowest definitions I can think of.

public_admin would the city halls, courthouses, state, and capital buildings, embassies, etc. This is the most important one, IMO.

public_center would be the community centers, libraries, public pools, public performance halls, etc. Maybe landuse=event would fall in there too.

Thanks again for the quick reply. Tagging seems to have some some very very specific cases, and others where a catchall is used - and understanding the gaps, and why they are there is difficult for me sometimes. Thanks for helping explain the logic behind it.

Javbw