[Tagging] surface=ground/dirt/earth

Georg Feddern osm at bavarianmallet.de
Thu Mar 13 16:02:53 UTC 2014

Am 13.03.2014 15:56, schrieb fly:
> On 13.03.2014 15:37, Fernando Trebien wrote:
>> But do you think that earth and ground are different kinds of surface?
> Well, I would consider earth as earth where ground could be earth but
> does not have to be.
>
> All together, I think we could get rid of at least one out of the three
> tags after updating the descriptions but this will not that easy with
> existing tags in common use.

aehm, well - and which one would you get rid of?

Some times ago I remember a likewise identical discussion at the german
forum.
AFAIK:

ground
Used for ways where the underground consists of different and often
changing parts like rock, earth, vegetation (generic value) - as you say
above.

earth
Used for ways where the underground consists of - well, earth (natural
sand) constantly.

dirt
See above - the term seems to be outside of OSM used for a "man made" /
constructed work - which inside OSM seems to be the (defined) value
"compacted".

So I would get rid of dirt, but keep 'earth' beside 'ground' as a useful
value (smooth walking on hiking trails) .

Georg