[Tagging] Hot springs

Satoshi IIDA nyampire at gmail.com
Fri Mar 14 01:42:25 UTC 2014

> not sure but usually the sauna in public baths is somewhat separated so
> we might as well tag part of the object as sauna.

Yes, this is a very difficult point. I also could not define which is
better.
Maybe depending on the situation and country.

But from Japanese view, Onsen's main feature is as "public_bath" and
the type of bath is the sub category.
(and from operator's view, it is easier to make query :) )

If the facility announces they are "XXX's sauna" or given name, and they
are not onsen amenity,
it is better to tag them as "amenity=sauna" even in Japan.

> On Mon, Mar 10, 2014 at 01:44:30PM +0900, Satoshi IIDA wrote:
> > > John
> > > some onsen are not associated with hot springs, but have hot sand
> instead.
> > Yes, but they are rare case.
> > Most of onsen are hot water bath.
> > So might be represented by adding following sub_tags.
> >
> > bath:sand_bath=[yes|no]  ; if the bathing amenity is sand bath (Suna_yu)
> or
> > not.
>
> that reminds me we also have hay_bath in the Alps, so that would also
> fit into it and may be helpful for other cases too.
>
> > bath:sauna=[yes|no]      ; if the bathing amenity has sauna facility.
> (Use
> > it when the main function of the amenity is public_bath. consider using
> > "amenity=sauna" when the main purpose of the amenity is sauna)
>
> not sure but usually the sauna in public baths is somewhat separated so
> we might as well tag part of the object as sauna.
>
> Richard

Satoshi IIDA
mail: nyampire at gmail.com
twitter: @nyampire