[Tagging] Landuse=civic_admin

johnw johnw at mac.com
Mon Mar 17 10:51:02 UTC 2014

Martin - I realized that somewhere, I got confused about landuse=retail/residential/ etc and amenity=school

I started thinking there was landuse=school & landuse=hospital when there isn't. 

So my previous comments probably made no sense.  I'm really sorry about that. 

You are exactly right suggesting amenity=townhall for single buildings or the landuse for the townhall by itself.

So using amenity=townhall for a townhall building is right. I guess there are other kinds of offices, and amenity=DMV or amenity=pension_office or whatnot can be discussed for other civic buildings later. The amenity tag wiki page has a bunch of civic buildings crammed under "other", so maybe there is a need for a few more amenity tags and a "civic" section on the wiki. 

However, when dealing with a building complex, like a business park or a shopping mall, The buildings themselves get the proper names and tags, and the area gets a landuse tag for a retail/residential/commercial/etc.  But the amenity=townhall tag doesn't fit well for a complex with many different buildings, when only one is the townhall. You have suggested landuse=commerical.

But one of the other commenters talked about this same situation, with his town using "institutional" as a landuse description. This sounds a lot like the landuse=civic_admin I was suggesting. 


So, now that I understand that the building type should be an amenity=____, and the basic amenity tag can also show landuse, I will start to think about a few new amenity=tags for civic buildings. 

That picture I showed you with the 5 buildings is, in one complex,is the "state office building" (full of all the different depts), the "old state office building" State assembly building, and and the 5th one is the police HQ, and a "state community hall" across the street. I want a landuse to show it isn't strictly a townhall. 

But for building complexes that include the townhall, would you still default to commerical? isn't there a need for a tag like "landuse=institutional" or something? a broad landuse for these different civic amenities when mixed together? Or is the definition of "townhall" already that broad?


PS: thanks for putting up with my comments and questions, especially when I am mistaken. 

On Mar 16, 2014, at 5:45 PM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

>> Am 16/mar/2014 um 02:20 schrieb johnw <johnw at mac.com>:
>> I am looking for a tag to define the area the townhall building sits on
> what about amenity=townhall ? That's how we do it for schools, universities etc.
> cheers,
> Martin
> _______________________________________________
> Tagging mailing list
> Tagging at openstreetmap.org
> https://lists.openstreetmap.org/listinfo/tagging

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <http://lists.openstreetmap.org/pipermail/tagging/attachments/20140317/9ca8460c/attachment.html>

More information about the Tagging mailing list