[Tagging] Landuse=civic_admin

johnw johnw at mac.com
Fri Mar 21 09:19:35 UTC 2014

On Mar 21, 2014, at 4:06 AM, Martin Koppenhoefer <dieterdreist at gmail.com> wrote:

> They ("civil features") don't exist to produce income (even if they somewhat do) so the "commerce" part is missing, but they exist because the society has deemed that it's necessary to make the things that they do happen
>

> OK, this is interesting, and very broad.

> Would landuse=civic also include Concert-halls and theatres? Museums? But only if operated by the government or not for profit?

Civic, to me, is something for the the public good, or to serve the public. Museums and concert halls, opera theaters, etc are usually for events for any citizen, as opposed to disneyland, which is for disney. Many art galleries are private and even if they are non=profit, you still have to pay to enter - so there is not much distinction needed between public and private, if it is for 3rd party events that anyone can go to see. Most host rotating events or shows that are an interest to the public.

Generally.
I think that civic is a good land choice, and it is a pretty broad category, but I do like your idea of using a subtag to break it up. "Institutional" would be the proper form of Institution.

Landuse=institutional + institutional=

- education
- medical
- civic_office
- civic_assembly
-civic_services
- Judicial
- civic_event_center  might be a good additional one, for recreation centres, (mixed use buildings with pools and other leisure amenities), community centres, community halls, public sports centers, concert halls and event buildings, stadiums, etc - even museums.

> What about a server farm? It's probably not "industrial", by common classification I think it is put into the tertiary sector, still it is clearly there to produce profit (like all the businesses in the tertiary sector, e.g. telcos, mass media, hospitality industry (hotels, ski resorts), etc.) so it won't merit the landuse=civic tag, and we are probably still missing at least another landuse tag for those, unless it's offices (commercial) or a waste dumping ground. Or would you see it included in "commercial"

A server farm is almost always a for-profit commercial building. it's a building full of computers doing a big job for big corporations - jobs that make those companies money  (they hope). Amazon, Microsoft, Google, and Apple all operate massive server farms, all doing for-profit work. Totally commercial, just not an office.

physical waste is a byproduct of production, which is usually industrial - is this for mining, like a tailing pile?  A waste yard in a industrial plant is just part of the landuse industrial, and the junk pile from the quarry is usually part of the quarry, same with the mine. Are there industrial dump sites that are separated from the source? if they were, wouldn't it always be landuse=industrial - unless it was in the business of accepting other people's garbage (and therefore a landfill?)

Ski park is tourism. Hotels are commercial, maybe with commercial=hospitality subtag.

> The landuse tag is not about zoning, or in other words what you are allowed to build on a given plot, but rather what is the actual current usage (on the ground rule). Do not feel tempted to think that's the same, it often really isn't ;-)

+1

> landuse=leisure:
> -skiing park, zoo, theme park, or other tourist attraction.
>

> I think I understand what you are after, but I wouldn't put the word "tourist attraction" into the definition, because literally everything interesting can become a tourist attraction, I wouldn't see this as a class of objects on its own. A waterfall can be a tourist attraction, but this wouldn't make it a landuse=leisure, just like many churches are tourist attractions etc.

There is a tourism=theme_park / and leisure=water_park

Wouldn't a landuse=commercial commercial=tourism - be perfect for this kind of stuff?  of course, the waterfall (tree, rock, whatever) , if notable, would be a point tourism=attraction in a park or forest, or a tag on an existing structure that is popular with tourists. Right?

Javbw