[Tagging] Access tags on areas containing highway=*

bulwersator bulwersator at zoho.com
Thu Mar 20 05:39:31 UTC 2014

Is it reasonable to expect that well tagged road contains all access
tags necessary to check whatever it is accessible?

In other words - is it OK to tag area like proving ground with
access=no, without tagging roads on this area with proper access tags?
Should cases like this be reported by validators? Or maybe routing
engines should be expected to process also areas that share no nodes
with processed ways?

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:access#Nodes.2C_ways_and_areas
basically says "do not remove correct access tags", is not answering
my question (it is about removing tags, not adding new ones. Also, it
is failing to consider that it is possible to ensure adding missing
tags by using quality assurance tools).

http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Computing_access_restrictions is not
mentioning areas, maybe because roads should have full set of relevant
tags, maybe because it is incomplete.

Note: this is not purely theoretical, I encountered it during planning
development of JOSM plugin.

In my opinion all relevant access tags should be on way and its nodes,
otherwise it is unclear whatever road inherits access data from area.

Moreover it would make processing data overly complex, but this one
may be easily countered that requiring specific access tags would make
editing tedious.