[Tagging] surface=ground/dirt/earth

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 15:20:24 UTC 2014

> Perhaps what people worry about here is "how soft" the surface is.
> There may be various degrees of "softness" to be measured.

actually to me the problem seems that these properties are somehow dynamic.
If the surface is unpaved it will depend a lot on past weather conditions
whether a road is nice to use or not. The same road can be an unsurpassable
mud inferno or frozen with lots of snow over it so it becomes nice and
smooth, all dependent on the season. The russians had proposed a feature
"winter_road" to account for some of these features, in different climatic
conditions (e.g. with heavy rain periods) we might need additional tagging
as well.

cheers,
Martin