[Tagging] surface=ground/dirt/earth

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Thu Mar 20 15:58:01 UTC 2014

In Brazil, these conditions are somewhat often permanent (or at least
expected to be permanent) when they happen. Sometimes it's due to poor
administration, which changes only every 4 years. Sometimes it's due
to poor construction, which costs a lot to fix. Sometimes it's due to
weather, which in many cases is not inconstant through the seasons.
But sometimes they are indeed dynamic/seasonal, though it's rare to
see a large (say, from grade5 to grade1, or from horrible to good
smoothness), so in these cases most people will choose to either
approximate the average or the pessimistic scenario (not so much
different from the average). When a large change happens (in case of a
natural disaster, for instance, floods), it's either temporary (the
situation goes back to normal) or permanent (it takes a long time to
get fixed), but not recurring (if it's fixed within a year, most
people won't expect it to happen again next year at the same place,
but surely it "could" repeat if the fix was poorly conducted). So I
think the case of the Russians (in fact, of "snow") is quite unique.