[Tagging] Driving side

John Packer john.packer7 at gmail.com
Fri Mar 21 20:07:03 UTC 2014

There is a tag documented on the wiki called
driving_side<http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Key:driving_side>
=right/left.

According to it's description, this tag should only be used on countries,
and it describes the side of the traffic in the whole country.

So far so good, but according to taginfo it is used only once on a
relation, however there are some uses on some ways, and even nodes(?).

There are, in my city, a couple of streets that have an *inverted* driving
side.
So I am going to extend this tag's documentation to include ways that have
it's driving side opposite to it's country's normal driving side.

Is there any interest of using it on countries?
If there is not, I will exclude the possibility of use on countries from
this tag's documentation.

Perhaps, with this new definition, this tag could be redefined to have only
one value: driving_side=opposite
(this way, it could avoid any confusion about it's use)

What do you think?