[Tagging] Adding boat routes to wiki

Janko Mihelić janjko at gmail.com
Mon Mar 24 14:36:49 UTC 2014

Wiki page about route relations[1] only has ferries for sea travel. I think
we should add route=boat as a route for all kinds of boats in some specific
places.

One of those places would be canals like the Panama canal. Currently that
canal is tagged wrongly IMHO as several ways[2] with waterway=canal. That
is already wrong because some ways with waterway=canal cross the Gatun
Lake. A route through a lake isn't a canal. It's a route.

Those ways are in a route relation[3] with  type=waterway + waterway=canal.
I think those relations should be type=route, route=boat.

Do we agree with this? If we do I'll add the boat route in the wiki, and
change the relations and ways in the Panama canal.

[1] https://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Route
[2]https://www.openstreetmap.org/way/179053888
[3] https://www.openstreetmap.org/relation/2389520

Janko