[Tagging] Gritting routes

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Wed Mar 26 10:58:51 UTC 2014

> I'm in two minds about whether to map the route as a relation, but I have
> to follow the route on the map just to work out which roads are gritted and
> which are not, so I may add it at the same time.

the problem with a route will be that others have to deal with it when
modifying the road geometry, and it will be almost impossible to do it
without the descriptions. I also agree that the route data is not of
primary (or secondary ;-) ) interest to osm. Instead you could add an
attribute to the roads whether there is winter service or not. This is
already done somewhere, e.g. with the tag "gritting"
http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/search?q=gritting
and with the tag "winter_service"

cheers,
Martin