[Tagging] Gritting routes

Craig Wallace craigw84 at fastmail.fm
Tue Mar 25 02:09:57 UTC 2014

On 2014-03-23 22:07, Rob Nickerson wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I have some winter gritting/salting routes that I am trying to work out
> how best to tag them. I was thinking of creating a route relation, but I
> may need to add some new roles:
>
> * "forward:grit" implies the gritting truck grits this road whilst
> travelling in the direction of the way.
> * "forward:travel" implies the gritting truck drives along the direction
> of the way but does NOT grit it.
>
> Is this ok?

What is the point in mapping roads where the gritter drives, if it is
not gritting there? How is that useful for anyone?
It is useful for drivers to know whether or not a road will be gritted,
but it doesn't matter what order the roads are gritted, or where the
truck goes before or after.

I suspect most of these routes are not really fixed, different drivers
could cover the roads in a different order if they wanted to.

Comparing it to bus routes, you only map where the bus is actually
carrying or picking up passengers, not where it is driving empty to and
from the depot.