[Tagging] Police and Military Mobile Check Point

Peter Wendorff wendorff at uni-paderborn.de
Thu May 1 13:05:38 UTC 2014

Hi Esben,
for roads being closed due to a crash it's clear that this does NOT
belong to OSM, for stuff that is "stable" over some weeks or more the
opinions divert, and when something is stable for several months up to
years you get some kind of consens over OSM.

Real time traffic information is useful on a map, but OSM is not a map,
it's a geo-database.
Many applications don't use up to date OSM data but update occasionally,
e.g. once every several months.

Examples for that are offline routing apps, printed maps and many more.
It would be fine to have an external database for stuff like traffic
flow, road closed and similar information (as well as the mentioned
mobile check point), but it's not useful to add them to the core
database if it's not stated that and in which way they are temporary.

regards
Peter