[Tagging] capital and state_capital: how are they being used in your country?

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Wed May 14 20:47:26 UTC 2014

"... Czech Republic taginfo=capital" what do you mean?

So it seems that, except for Russia, the most common practice is as
described in http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Proposed_features/capital#Notes_on_actual_usage
. We should probaby vote on this proposal now and make this the
default practice. This makes admin_level unnecessary on any place
nodes.

It's easy to retag capitals in Brazil, and it would probably be easy
in North America and in Russia too. But local apps might not like it
very much. In Russia, apps could continue using admin_level for a
while and slowly migrate the capital=[number] tag.

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 5:04 PM, Andreas Goss <andig88 at t-online.de> wrote:
> Am 5/14/14 17:06 , schrieb Fernando Trebien:
>
>> Interesting. So how is capital=* being used in Europe?
>

> Just running the overpass API with capital* over some countries:
>
> Spain: Using capital=8 extensivly (!!!) together with admin_level=8 not
> really using 4 or 6 though.
>
> France, Italy have some capital=6 (Not many)
>
> Germany, Romania some capital=4
> Russia and to a small extent Ukraine capital=yes with admin_level=4
>
> Lithania some capital="name"
>
> Portugal, Beglium, Netherlands, Norway, Danmark, Sweden, Switzerland,
> Austria, Poland, Czech Republic taginfo=capital(except for maybe capital=2
> and a few random tags
> Looks similar for most countries in Eastern Europe but didn't check every
> single one.
>

> => Overall it seems like the high number of capital= usage mostly comes from
> Spain.

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"Nullius in verba."