[Tagging] capital and state_capital: how are they being used in your country?

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Thu May 15 00:51:01 UTC 2014

On Wed, May 14, 2014 at 8:52 PM, Andreas Goss <andig88 at t-online.de> wrote:
> Exacly, so why tag the level number on the node when we have relations and
> can incude the capitals as role:admin_centre? And then there are no
> exceptions. Which is how it is usually done here in Germany.

I've checked the first 15 cities in this list:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cities_in_Germany_by_population

And it seems that in Germany's city nodes:
- the federal capital is tagged with capital=yes+admin_level=2:
http://www.openstreetmap.org/node/240109189
- state capitals are tagged with capital=4, some (though far from the
top of the list) also have is_capital=state
- others have neither capital nor admin_level tags

Things I did not understand:
- Leipzig has is_capital=county on the node but admin_level=6 on the relation
- Nurenberg has capital=5 on the node but admin_level=6 on the relation

And some of these relations (though far from the top of the list) are
not assigned an admin_centre role, even though the node exists.

It seems that German capitals follow the pattern capital=[lowest
admin_level of relations in which the city is admin_centre], except
Berlin.

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409

"Nullius in verba."