[Tagging] capital and state_capital: how are they being used in your country?

Tod Fitch tod at fitchdesign.com
Mon May 19 01:01:46 UTC 2014

On May 18, 2014, at 4:28 PM, Andreas Goss wrote:

> Am 5/18/14 14:43 , schrieb John Packer:
>> Honest question: are there capitals for something besides countries and
>> states?
>>
>> If not, we could keep it simple:
>> * capital=yes for country capitals
>> * state_capital=yes for state capitals (already in use in some parts of
>> America <http://taginfo.openstreetmap.org/keys/state_capital#map>).
>
> See box on the right:
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oberallg%C3%A4u

For what it is worth, most US states are divided into counties and each county has its own law enforcement (county sheriff), court system, and an elected board of supervisors. In the counties and states I am familiar with the main offices and meeting location for the board of supervisors is in the "county seat". So "county seat" sounds pretty much like a capital city to me.