[Tagging] highway=track access

Martin Koppenhoefer dieterdreist at gmail.com
Tue May 20 10:58:59 UTC 2014

> I Australia, 'track' generally means a road that is badly maintained or
> not maintained at all. Almost certainly unsealed. Some short and some
> quite long. Some of the longer ones are important connecting or tourist
> roads.

In my opinion you shouldn't use the osm tags highway=track for important
connecting roads or tourist roads, even if you call them "tracks" in
everyday live, and even if they aren't paved. Better use the highway tag
according to its definition (importance of connection) and use something
like unclassified, tertiary, secondary, primary together with surface-tags.

cheers,
Martin