[Tagging] highway=track access

David Bannon dbannon at internode.on.net
Mon May 19 22:33:48 UTC 2014

On Mon, 2014-05-19 at 19:05 +0100, Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> I'm interested to know what level of access people believe this implies
> in their home countries.

I Australia, 'track' generally means a road that is badly maintained or
not maintained at all. Almost certainly unsealed. Some short and some
quite long. Some of the longer ones are important connecting or tourist
roads.

Generally, Australian roads in OSM are (legally) public access. However,
lots of tracks while legal are very difficult to drive due to the
conditions.

I have in the past campaigned to have rendering reflect that difficulty
based on the tracktype tag but not sufficient interest. We'll just have
to wait for the coroners report...

David