[Tagging] highway=track access

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Tue May 20 14:59:07 UTC 2014

On 19/05/2014 19:05, Richard Fairhurst wrote:

> I'm interested to know what level of access people believe this
> implies in their home countries.

To me, in the UK, highway=track is an unmetalled road that can be
accessed & has been used by motor vehicles, but on it's own does not
imply any access rights. I always indicate those using sub-tags such as
foot=*, horse=* etc.

> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/OSM_tags_for_routing/Access-Restrictions
> has suggestions for a few countries, but is missing some pretty major
> ones, such as the US and the Netherlands.

Going slightly off topic, I notice the UK listing is missing byway, a
recognised highway classification.

Dave F.

---