[Tagging] "byway" vs "track" ( was: highway=track access )

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Tue May 20 15:17:50 UTC 2014

Dave F. wrote:

> Going slightly off topic, I notice the UK listing is missing byway, a
> recognised highway classification.
>
> Dave F.

Is there a notable physical difference between a "byway" in England and
Wales and a "track"?  "Byway Open to All Traffic" and "Restricted Byway"
are both legal definitions (i.e. "designation" tag), but is there a
physical difference too?

The one class that I'd possibly suggest as being missing are quad-bike
trails used by farmers in upland areas, but I really don't have a good
suggestion as to what to tag those as.

Cheers,

Andy