[Tagging] highway=track access

Fernando Trebien fernando.trebien at gmail.com
Tue May 20 15:14:11 UTC 2014

Following from this discussion about rendering
(https://github.com/gravitystorm/openstreetmap-carto/issues/110#issuecomment-31613867),
it should make some sense to assume that tracks with
tracktype=grade1/grade2 are physically capable of traffic and
therefore usable/accessible (though at lower speed and greater care)
unless other tags restrict it. So, it would make sense to restrict
them by country only when the local community assumes they show up in
a specific context that restricts access, such as private property
(farms) or state controlled areas (forest) or so.

Tracks are usually physically possible for mountain bikes, and
probably to city bikes too (though not quite adequate), as well as
wheelchair on tracktype=grade1, so they would only be inaccessible if
forbidden by law.

Btw, I'm in Brazil. Here the popular opinion is that the single major
difference between OSM's tracks and paths worldwide is the physical
possibility of standard motor vehicle traffic (very inadequate or
simply impossible on paths, but possible, though perhaps difficult, on
tracks). If it's private/restricted by law, we also add
access=private/no (similar to service ways). Surely in countries where
tracks are assumed to be private, one would add
access=yes/permissive/destination for the exceptions.

On that list in the wiki, only Denmark restricts access to tracks
completely. I find interesting that in Germany there is ongoing
discussion about making them "destination" - that should make them
routable at least for departure/arrival.

On Mon, May 19, 2014 at 3:41 PM, Matthijs Melissen
<info at matthijsmelissen.nl> wrote:
> On 19 May 2014 19:05, Richard Fairhurst <richard at systemed.net> wrote:
>> I'm interested to know what level of access people believe this implies in
>> their home countries.
>
> In Luxembourg, highway=track normally cannot be used by vehicles. Most
> of them have currently no access tag.
>
> -- Matthijs

Fernando Trebien
+55 (51) 9962-5409