[Tagging] highway=track access

SomeoneElse lists at mail.atownsend.org.uk
Mon May 19 19:01:37 UTC 2014

Richard Fairhurst wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> There are almost 8m highway=track objects in the database (thanks
> taginfo!), third only to =residential and =service (thanks TIGER!).
>
> I'm interested to know what level of access people believe this
> implies in their home countries.
>
> Here in the UK, for example, highway=track is often used for private
> farm tracks, so you can't safely route over it unless access tags have
> been added. But evidently that's not always the case elsewhere.

Here's how I'd interpret a "highway=track" with no access tabs in
England or Wales (or at least the bits that I tend to frequent),
particularly with regard to foot access:

1) If it's got no other tags on it (e.g. no surface or tracktype tags),
then there's a risk been added from imagery alone, and I wouldn't assume
that I could route over it (especially not to "get me home before dark"
on a circular route).

2) If it's got any sort of other tags on it (surface, tracktype,
designation, width, mtb_scale) I'd assume that someone's been down
there, so access is at least "not physically prevented".  I also find
background GPS layer that iD uses for this useful (though I doubt that
you could do much with that?).  It doesn't mean that access is legal
though, so I wouldn't assume that I could use it.

3) If I was recommending to someone else whether or not to take a route
over a highway=track in England or Wales, I wouldn't suggest it unless
it had either explicit access tags (or a designation tag that suggests
that it ought to have an access tag).

Cheers,

Andy