[Tagging] Urban perimeter

Pieren pieren3 at gmail.com
Tue May 27 14:27:11 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 3:37 PM, Fernando Trebien
<fernando.trebien at gmail.com> wrote:
> I like Nelson's idea of using a new value for "boundary" to represent
> this, mainly because the perimeter is not "ground truth" but an
> invisible "legal definition" that roughly matches the urbanized area.
> I was wondering if this concept exists elsewhere so that we can even
> propose such value in a way that's reusable worldwide.

That's the point. Is it "legal" or just the sum of all urbanized
"landuse" 's (residential, industrial, retail). Does it include
backyards, garden, orchard, etc ? The limit is often clear on the road
(first/last building + road sign) but fuzzy on aerial imagery if you
want to draw the area. And if all landuses are already mapped, do you
add a new polygon reusing existing nodes or do you create a
multipolygon relation (splitting the existing landuse) or you just
collect the sum of existing landuses ?

Pieren