[Tagging] Urban perimeter

Nelson A. de Oliveira naoliv at gmail.com
Tue May 27 15:44:08 UTC 2014

On Tue, May 27, 2014 at 11:27 AM, Pieren <pieren3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> That's the point. Is it "legal" or just the sum of all urbanized
> "landuse" 's (residential, industrial, retail). Does it include
> backyards, garden, orchard, etc ? The limit is often clear on the road
> (first/last building + road sign) but fuzzy on aerial imagery if you
> want to draw the area. And if all landuses are already mapped, do you
> add a new polygon reusing existing nodes or do you create a
> multipolygon relation (splitting the existing landuse) or you just
> collect the sum of existing landuses ?

The urban limit/boundary is legal (defined by law) here in Brazil. It
may englobe areas that still lack a specific use or are not yet
populated.
It's not only a simple sum of the landuses.
It determines, for example, the area that is taxed by the municipality
(the urban perimeter/area) or by the federation (the rural area).

Example: http://here.com/-22.3837691,-47.3933969,12,0,0,normal.day
It's the greyish areas englobing the cities.

About mapping it, I see it exactly as mapping administrative
boundaries: reuse nodes/ways as needed (or as possible, or as wanted).