[Tagging] "byway" vs "track" ( was: highway=track access )

Dave F. davefox at madasafish.com
Fri May 30 07:48:40 UTC 2014

On 20/05/2014 16:17, SomeoneElse wrote:
> Dave F. wrote:
>>
>> Going slightly off topic, I notice the UK listing is missing byway, a
>> recognised highway classification.
>>
>> Dave F.
>
> Is there a notable physical difference between a "byway" in England
> and Wales and a "track"?  "Byway Open to All Traffic" and "Restricted
> Byway" are both legal definitions (i.e. "designation" tag), but is
> there a physical difference too?

I'd say the physicality of byways varies in the same way tracks do.
However I'm not sure it's a valid reason to not define it separately.
Think of it as similar to the accepted way of tagging highways like
highway=motorway, instead of highway=road, designation=motorway.

I've yet to come across a non copyrighted source for BOATs & Restricted
Byway, & as most byways are tagged on the ground as just 'byway' I still
believe it's a valid tag & should not be deprecated as suggested in the
wiki.

Cheers
Dave F.

---